Thứ Năm, 3 tháng 10, 2013

US shutdown: White House talks fail to end deadlock

US shutdown: White House talks fail to end deadlock

Obama: "I am exasperated because this is entirely unnecessary"
US President Obama and Congressional leaders have failed to break a budget deadlock that has led to a partial government shutdown.
Mr Obama held White House talks with Republican House Speaker John Boehner and Senate leader Mitch McConnell as well as their Democratic counterparts.
Mr Boehner left the talks complaining the Democrats "will not negotiate".
Mr Obama said he would not set a precedent where "an extremist wing" of a party holds a government to ransom.
He told CNBC ahead of the meeting that he was "prepared to negotiate on anything" over the budget once Congress passes "a clean piece of legislation that reopens the government".
John Boehner (Republican) and Nancy Pelosi (Democrat) both spoke after the talks
The US government closed non-essential operations on Tuesday after Congress failed to strike a deal on a new budget.
The shutdown has left more than 700,000 employees on unpaid leave and closed national parks, tourist sites, government websites, office buildings, and more.
However, as one budget crisis raged in Washington DC, another one - potentially more dangerous - looms in the coming weeks.
On 17 October, the US government will run out of cash to pay its bills unless the debt ceiling is raised.
'Locked in tight'
Mr Boehner emerged from Wednesday evening's talks at the White House, saying it had been a "polite conversation" but yielded nothing. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell called the talks "unproductive".
"All we're asking for here is a discussion and fairness for the American people under Obamacare,'' Mr Boehner told reporters.

Start Quote

All the signs are that neither side is preparing to blink, quite yet. But while the president is staring hard and straight ahead, the Republicans' eyes are beginning to water, and they are glancing at the ground. ”
House Minority Leader, Democrat Nancy Pelosi, who also attended the meeting, accused the Republicans of "moving the goalposts" on the budget deal.
Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said his party were "locked in tight on Obamacare'' and neither the president nor Democrats in Congress would accept changes to the law as the price for a deal on reopening the government.
The Republicans who control the House of Representatives have demanded concessions from Mr Obama and his fellow Democrats in return for funding the government's continued operation and for raising the debt ceiling.
Chiefly, the Republicans demand the repeal, delay or defunding of a healthcare reform law - dubbed Obamacare - passed by the Democrats in 2010.
Major portions of that law, which was subsequently validated by the US Supreme Court and was a major issue in the 2012 presidential election, took effect on Tuesday.
Analysts say Mr Boehner could end the current government showdown by allowing the House to vote on a "clean" budget bill that does not alter the health law, because that could pass with a coalition of Democrats and moderate Republicans.
The view on the shutdown from deserted landmarks and government buildings in Washington and New York
But doing so would risk his standing with the most conservative elements of his caucus.

Madagascar mob kills Europeans over 'organ trafficking'

Madagascar mob kills Europeans over 'organ trafficking'

BBC map

Related Stories

Two European men have been burnt to death in Madagascar by protesters who suspected they were trafficking human organs after a child went missing.
A local man had been arrested in connection with the disappearance on Wednesday on Nosy Be, a tourist island resort in Madagascar's north-west.
A crowd then rioted outside the police station believing him to have been paid to remove the child's organs.
The mob proceeded on "a manhunt" for the foreigners, police said.
"It resulted in the death of two foreigners," the deputy commander of the paramilitary police, Gen Guy Randriamaro Bobin, told the AFP news agency.
Officials initially said they were French nationals, but residents on Nosy Be say one of the men may have been Italian.
"Two foreigners died, we have confirmed that one of them was French," AFP quotes France's foreign affairs spokesman Philippe Lalliot as saying.
Gen Randriamaro Bobin said an eight-year-old boy's lifeless body was found on Thursday morning, without genitals and without a tongue, the agency reports.
Local media reported that the protesters had found human organs in a fridge in the building where the Europeans were staying.
The BBC's Tim Healy in the capital, Antananarivo, says Nosy Be is the jewel in the crown of Madagascar's tourist industry and has been used to encourage tourists to return to the Indian Ocean nation following several years of political unrest.
Text alerts
According to reports, at least one person was also killed in the violence that erupted outside the police station.
Police fired shots in the air to disperse the protesters, who had been hurling stones.
Fishermen carry fishing nets on a beach - Madagascar, 2006Tourism has been affected by Madagascar's political crisis and most islanders live on less than $2 a day
The mob then burnt down houses around the station before going on to find the home of the two foreigners.
"They confessed under torture [by the mob] to organ trafficking," Gen Randriamaro Bobin told AFP.
Our correspondent says the incident may have political undertones as elections are scheduled to take place on 25 October and there are tensions nationwide.
Poor communities' fears of human organ trafficking have been exploited in the past by those wanting to stir up tensions or as a means of revenge for another issue, our reporter says.
Instances of mob justice are common in Madagascar, he adds.
The French embassy in Madagascar has sent out text alerts warning French nationals not to travel to Nosy Be and urging foreigners on the island resort to remain indoors and not go to the beach where it is reported the foreigners were burnt.
"The two Europeans were killed and burnt on Ambatoloaka beach," AFP quotes Honoya Tilahizandry, the commissioner of police in Andoany, Nosy Be's main town, as saying.
A regional government official on Nosy Be blamed for the paramilitary police's lax response to the case was reportedly kidnapped on Wednesday.

More on This Story

Nhiều nữ sinh bị “ép” uống thuốc có chất gây nghiện

Nhiều nữ sinh bị “ép” uống thuốc có chất gây nghiện

Thứ Năm, ngày 03/10/2013 19:30 PM (GMT+7)
Nhiều học sinh cho biết, các em bị nữ sinh cũ của trường tên là V.N.T.N dụ dỗ và ép uống thuốc Recotus (loại thuốc ho có chứa hoạt chất gây ảo giác).
Tin TứcTin HOT trong ngày được cập nhật liên tục từng giờ tại Tin Tức Trong Ngày
Được phụ huynh và học sinh thông tin, giám thị của Trường THCS Tăng Bạt Hổ A, quận 4, TP.HCM phát hiện 7 học sinh lớp 7A4 uống thuốc ho Recotus. Trong đó có một vài học sinh mang thuốc vào trường phát cho các bạn học.
Vụ việc này xảy ra vào đầu giờ chiều ngày 30/9. Lãnh đạo trường đã yêu cầu học sinh làm tường trình vụ việc. Thời điểm phát hiện, nhà trường đã thu giữ hơn 20 viên thuốc Recotus từ các học sinh của trường.

Theo đó, nhiều học sinh cho biết, các em bị nữ sinh cũ của trường tên là V.N.T.N (vừa nghỉ học năm nay) dụ dỗ và ép uống thuốc. Cũng theo tường trình của phụ huynh, mỗi em đã uống Recotus từ 1 - 4 lần, mỗi lần từ 1 - 4 viên.

Lý do học sinh dùng thuốc là do các em cho rằng, N. đã dụ dỗ, nói uống thuốc Recotus sẽ không sợ bị cha mẹ la, đánh đòn và không sợ gì khi đến lớp.
Nhiều nữ sinh bị “ép” uống thuốc có chất gây nghiện - 1
Học sinh Trường Tăng Bạt Hổ trong giờ ra chơi
Trước đó, trường này đã liên tục tuyên truyền học sinh không được dùng Recotus. Tuy nhiên, vẫn có trường hợp không nghe theo khuyến cáo của nhà trường.

Đáng nói, trong 7 học sinh trên, tất cả đều là nữ, học lực ở mức trung bình. Duy nhất có một trường hợp là học sinh giỏi bị T.N. đe dọa nên phải uống.

Lãnh đạo trường này cũng đã báo cáo vụ việc lên Phòng Giáo dục quận 4 và chính quyền địa phương.
Trao đổi với phóng viên chiều 3/10, ông Trần Minh Ngôn, Trưởng phòng Giáo dục Q.4 cho biết: “Chúng tôi đã nắm được tình hình. Chúng tôi sẽ chỉ đạo trường mời phụ huynh vào và kết hợp xử lý ngay”.
Hiện các cơ quan chức năng đang điều tra, làm rõ động cơ V.N.T.N khi ép nhiều nữ sinh uống thuốc có chứa chất gây nghiện. Chúng tôi sẽ thông tin đến bạn đọc ngay khi có kết quả.

Cuối năm 2012, Sở GD-ĐT TP.HCM đã ra văn bản khuyến cáo về tình trạng học sinh lạm dụng thuốc ho Recotus giả bệnh để được nghỉ học. Sở GD-ĐT khuyến cáo, Recotus là loại thuốc rất nguy hiểm, dễ gây nghiện như ma túy…